Onward by Howard Schultz
Onward is written in a narrative format from a pro-Starbucks perspective, which should be expected from the title. The story is enjoyable and follows Howard’s story of founding his own coffee company Il Giornale, his purchasing of Starbucks, and covers much of the Starbucks story from the time of his purchase in 1988 to 2011.
Onward is the 80th book read in my 2018 reading list.
Starbucks new mission statement as part of the transformation agenda:
Our aspiration is to become an enduring great company with one of the most recognized and respected brands in the world, known for inspiring and nurturing the human spirit.
Seven Big Moves of Starbucks’ Transformation Agenda
- Be the undisputed coffee authority.
- Engage and inspire our partners.
- Ignite the emotional attachment with our customers.
- Expand our global presence while making each store the heart of the local neighborhood.
- Be a leader in ethical sourcing and environmental impact.
- Create innovative growth platforms worthy of our coffee.
- Deliver a sustainable economic model.
Six Transformation Initiatives of Starbucks
- Mostretto (coffee maker)
- Conservation International
- Rewards Card
- My Starbucks Idea.com
- Pike Place Roast
- Clover (coffee maker)
Poison Traits of Partners (Employees)
These traits can pollute the integrity of the company.
- Political agendas
- Managing upward but not downward
- Inability to earn respect or to be a trusted team player
Lessons Learned from the Transformation
- Grow with discipline
- Balance intuition with rigor
- Innovate around the core
- Don’t embrace the status quo
- Find news ways to see
- Never expect a silver bullet
- Get your hands dirty
- Listen with empathy
- Over-communicate with transparency
- Tell your story, refusing to let others define you
- Use authentic experiences to inspire
- Stick to your values, they are your foundation
- Hold people accountable but give them the tools to succeed
- Make the tough choices
- It’s how you execute that counts
- Be decisive in times of crisis
- Be nimble
- Find truth in trials and lessons in mistakes
- Be responsible for what you see, hear and do
Areas Starbucks must Maintain Balance
- Between the emotional and the disciplined
- Between instinct and information
- Between global and local
- Between personal and professional
- Between profit and humanity
Transformation Agenda Communications from Howard Schultz
- Starbucks Transformation Agenda Communication 1
- Starbucks Transformation Agenda Communication 2
- Starbucks Transformation Agenda Communication 3
- Starbucks Transformation Agenda Communication 4
- Starbucks Transformation Agenda Communication 6
- Starbucks Transformation Agenda Communication 7
- Starbucks Transformation Agenda Communication 8
Howard Schultz recommended the book That Shop in Via Montenapoleone by Aldo Lorenzi and gained inspiration from both the book and meeting Aldo Lorenzi.
Related Book Summaries
- American Icon by Bryce G. Hoffman for a similar narrative business turnaround story.
- Sam Walton Made in America
Hope you enjoyed this and got value from my notes.
📚Here is my complete list of book summaries.